Has your school started using the new teacher evaluation tool? I believe my school will begin using it next year. Part of this new tool requires me to show growth for each of my students. Many of the teachers in my district will be doing this via a multiple choice test. Rarely do I give heavily weighted multiple choice tests in my classroom. This is due in large part to the fact that I care more about if the student can actually CREATE something with the knowledge learned in my class than if they can merely spew it back to me. So I’ve started to think more seriously about the idea of have a musical portfolio for my music students. So far my biggest hang up has been the huge amount of TIME it will take to maintain one for each student. I could really spend hours after school organizing audio files, pictures and movies into folders for each student. Any for what? Those files can’t easily be seen by the outside world and most students probably won’t give this folder a passing glance as they progress through my classes.
So I need something that will:
1. Store many types of files (audio, video, pictures, composition files, pdfs)
2. Let individual students access and maintain their own files
3. Let students share files with me
4. Let me share files with students
5. Let students share with me privately
6. Let students create a online public portfolio of their best work for the world to see and comment on.
7. Let students and me have control over what comments get posted on their work.
7.5 Has some sort of filter on comments before they get to the students so they don’t have to see links to inappropriate sites or comments filled with bad language.
8. Will NOT require students to have an email to have an account.
9. Will let parents have some kind of access beyond the general public access.
I’d LIKE something that will:
1. Let multiple teachers contribute to one student’s portfolio
2. Let students have control of their portfolio AFTER they leave my class
3. Let me “pass” students up to the next grade level for next school year.
4. Let me leave private comments about the student work via audio.
5. Let me write privately on top of student’s work for improvement.
Recently I was introduced to a service called Three Ring via a the Music Teachers group on Facebook. It sounds like it will cover many areas that I’m interested in. I can put in recordings and then tag individual students. I’m looking into using for the remainder of the semester. I think I’ll arrange students into groups by year of graduation since at this time there doesn’t appear to be a way to move students up the the next grade level.
Here’s to trying something new!